Social Event Guidelines
General Planning & Building Information
- The McAllen Convention Center (MCC) is a non-smoking facility.
- Parking on loading docks is permitted for loading and unloading only. All other parking is prohibited; violators will be towed at owner’s expense.
- Animals are not permitted in the facility, except those in compliance with ADA regulations.
- Heating, ventilation, air conditioning and house lighting is provided only during show hours.
- FC is required to pay the prevailing rate in effect at the time of the event for all services and equipment.
- A request to add or delete equipment (a reset) or a request for a change (a changeover) to the first room set is subject to additional charges.
- Helium balloons, glitter, confetti, and streamers are not allowed.
- Use of flames in the facility is prohibited.
- The use of a smoke machine/fog machine requires prior written approval from the Director.
- Use of tape or adhesive products, nails, tacks, pins, etc. on any surface in the facility is not allowed.
- FC must return the facility to the condition in which it was received, with the exception of normal wear and tear. Additional fees are assessed for the disposal of excess or display materials left on-site.
- Costs for damages to the facility or for clean up of the facility are billed to the FC.
- Equipment is maintained to accommodate simultaneous events and is assigned on a first-come first-serve basis. Equipment and furnishings beyond the inventory of the MCC are the responsibility of the FC to obtain and provide labor to set and dismantle.
- Alcoholic beverages may be served within the facilities during certain events (i.e. dances, receptions).
- Centerplate, the exclusive caterer and concessionaire, must provide the service and sale (concession) of food and beverage, including alcohol, for all events in the Convention Center. Contact a Centerplate representative for more information at (956) 681-3863.
- MCC clients are responsible for security comprised of off-duty McAllen Police Department officers at any event in which alcohol is being served or sold. The final number of officers is determined solely by the McAllen PD based on event requirements. MCC clients can contact the McAllen PD directly at (956) 681-2203 for more information or to make arrangements.
- BYOB (Bring You Own Bottle) functions are strictly prohibited.
The standard dance floor is 30’ x 30.’ The Facility Contractor can request a larger dance floor are and will be invoiced the appropriate cost of $10 per three foot by three foot (3’ x 3’) section.
- Nails, screws and/or any type of tape or adhesive may not be used to hang signs, banners, or decorations on walls, ceilings or any painted surface.
- Helium balloons are not allowed in the MCC
- Candles are not allowed in the MCC
- Glitter is not allowed in the MCC
- Streamers are not allowed in the MCC.
- Confetti is not allowed in the MCC.
Move In / Move Out
Access to the facility for move-in and move-out is allowed on the date(s) and time(s) listed on the contract. All move-in and move-out of exhibits must be through the designated loading dock, freight doors, and service doors. The lobby areas, ballroom doors, and side doors are not to be used for this purpose.
The Department shall have the right to collect and have custody of articles, fixtures, materials, displays or other personal property left in the facility or parking lots of the MCC if not claimed within forty-eight (48) hours following the last contract day. Such property is considered abandoned. The Department is not liable for any loss of or damage to property left on premises.
- All events are subject to posted City of McAllen occupancy figures. The Director maintains the right to determine the need for police and/or fire security at an event.
- All event floor plans require MCC and Fire Marshal approval.
- Fire hose cabinets, fire pull stations, aisle ways and exits may not be blocked or obstructed.
- Covered displays exceeding 300 square feet must meet specific regulations.
- Open flames are not permitted in the facility.
- Toxic or hazardous materials are subject to immediate removal if the required information is not received and Fire Marshal instructions are not followed.
- All costs associated with safe handling of materials, including insurance, are the responsibility of the Contractor.
For more information, consult the Fire Safety Guidelines
- Alcoholic beverages and catering services are exclusive to the in-house food and beverage management company, Centerplate. For more information, call (956) 681-3863.
- No food, beverage, or alcohol may be brought on to the property, except by Centerplate.
- No food or alcohol may be removed from inside the facility at any given time.
For more information consult the Catering Guidelines
Audio / Visual
- The MCC’s exhibit halls and meeting rooms are equipped with state-of-the-art digital sound systems.
- Room rental does not include the use of microphones, sound system, visual aides or other equipment you might need.
- A/V requirements need to be coordinated and rented through your Event Coordinator.
- Utility services (electrical, water & drain, gas, and telephone services) are exclusive to the McAllen Convention Center.
- A three (3) hour minimum is charged for labor unless otherwise specified.
- Credit will not be given for services ordered and not used. An hour minimum may be required.
- Department determines the number and type of personnel required for an event. Overtime fees may apply.
- Social events will incur additional electrical costs to meet their band or DJ’s electrical requirements.
The electrical charge for a DJ is $200, and the charge for a band is $300. These charges are not negotiable.
- Unarmed security is an exclusive service to the MCC.
- The MCC maintains twenty-four (24) hour building monitoring in the public space and grounds.
- The MCC determines the number and type of personnel required for an event and may require additional personnel to manage specialized move-in and move-out requirements.
- A four (4) hour minimum for labor is charged unless otherwise specified.
- Credit is not given for security services ordered and not used. The MCC determines the number and type of personnel required for an event.
- Overtime fees may apply.